Sunday, August 14, 2011

Economics Debate: #1 Krugman v. #30 Rogoff

Paul Krugman of Princeton debated Kenneth Rogoff of Harvard this morning.  These professors both ranked on my Economist Rankings, with Krugman at #1 and Rogoff tied for #30.  They debated on Fareed Zakaria's Global Public Square (GPS) program.  They debated primarily on the recent S & P U. S. debt downgrade, general economic conditions, and whether we should have another stimulus.  The debate begins at the 3:55 mark.






I think it was a pretty good debate.  I'm not sure I could say who won.  I didn't appreciate Krugman interrupting Rogoff at the end, but both sides were in good form.  Krugman was his typical Keynesian self, and I'm not exactly sure how to peg Rogoff.  According to Wikipedia, he's labeled a New Keynesian (just like Krugman), but there were clear differences between the two.  I'm not sure who decides that on Wikipedia, and I'm sure it doesn't matter, but it would be interesting to see them put a Keynesian versus another school.

This Time Is Different: Eight Centuries of Financial Folly

Kenneth Rogoff is the author of several books, most recently This Time is Different: Eight Centuries of Financial Folly.  Paul Krugman is the author of many many books as well, but won his Nobel Prize for Scale Economies, Product Differentiation, and the Pattern of Trade.



No comments:

Post a Comment